Information and Articles
Information For Writers
- Levels of editing
- What are the various types, or levels, of editing, and what does
your project need?
- How to Make a Book
- What are the steps that go into making a professional,
polished self-published book?
- What is typesetting, and why is it important?
- Cover Design
- The significance of cover design in self-published books.
- LaTeX to Lulu: The Making of AOSA
- The two volumes of The
Architecture of Open Source Applications were typeset with
LaTeX and printed through Lulu. I
couldn't have finished the AOSA books without the generosity of
people all over the world who posted their LaTeX tips to forums and
blogs. This series of articles pays some of that back by sharing what
Greg Wilson and I learned.
- Geometry, and
Headers and Footers: How to define the size of your book and
set up headers and footers using LaTeX.
and Captions: Specifying fonts and image caption options in
of Contents and Chapter Title Pages: Styling your table of
contents and chapter title pages in LaTeX.
Commands and Environments: Commands and environments we created
in LaTeX for the AOSA books.
Useful Packages and Settings: LaTeX packages and settings which
don't fit neatly into the previous articles
It All Together: The layout of the final document and how all
the parts relate to create an entire book
- Making AOSA: The Tools
- Compiling the AOSA books was a multi-month project involving
dozens of people. This article describes some of the tools and
systems we used to keep it organized.
- Working with
- Lots of people ask how it was to work with Lulu, the self-publishing
service we used for the AOSA books. This article describes some of the
highs and lows.